Saturday, November 17, 2007

BICS Report part 5: Sketches

Sketches Gallery

Part 5 of our BICS coverage

a look inside my convention sketchbook. I try to get 4-5 new sketches in every convention, some from my big favourites who indulge me at every meeting (like d'Israeli, Bucky and Duncan Fegredo), and others from the special convention guests, if I can stomach the hour queues.

This year, I didn't bother asking for a Mignola sketch, as much as I love the guy, as the queues were massive and I felt bad for the guy who had to make the same Hellboy sketch 200 times that day.

I did queue up for Kevin Nowlan, only to reach my turn and be told that he won't be sketching any more until after lunch. When I returned later, I was asked to wait in queue all over again, which i really didn't have the energy for. Next time, mr Nowlan!

D'Israeli:
Matt is probably the first artist I see in every convention, as he always has a big surprise sketch in his mind for me. I just ask for 'something Greek' and he impresses me every single time!


This year it was a sketch of Achilles, along with the official Achilles theme song (you can sing it to the theme of 'Spider-man, Spider-man, does whatever...'


and as a bonus, the sketch he did for the previous guy in line: Monster vs Bunny


Dougie Braithwaite:
it took me two days to decide what to ask for, and Dougie was a gent, spending a lot of time to get the face details just right and then coloured it in graytone as a bonus! Meet Poison Ivy:


Random Zombie Sketch:
I feel so bad that I didn't get the artist's name, but he was making the greatest looking Zombie Sketches in the hall. The red ink was an especially nice touch! I did get a photo of their table though, and bought a fab 'break in case of Zombies' axe t-shirt


and finally, mr Eisner Award himself, Mark Buckingham!
I asked for one of Snowhite's 7 cubs from Fables, and he threw in an extra one for kicks! Ambrose and Ghost:


BICS Coverage Archive:

Part 1: the Convention & Arrival
Part 2: Comic Artists Flip Out
Part 3: Photo Parade: Creators
Part 4: Photo Parade - Indies

No comments: