Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Roundtable 2007: All Ages



Manolis: If you could give out a comic book or tradebook as an x-mas gift to get a young person interested in comics, what would that be and why?


Nate Cosby: The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. BEST graphic novel, BEST fictional biography. It's the Watchmen and Citizen Kane of fun comics



Cecil Castellucci: Robot Dreams by Sara Varon. I think that it's a beautiful book about friendship and love. It has no words so it can be understood by anyone, at any age, not only a child, but even your grandma, even your Italian boy/girlfriend that speaks no English. I think that once a person sees the joys of what a great graphic story can do, they will seek out other books like that, and they will no longer say "I don't read comic books." Robot Dreams is a great book to get someone started with




Cliff Chiang: For someone in high school, I'd say Fables or Y: The Last Man. Younger than that, I'd go with Runaways. I think those are good ways to break into American mainstream comics.




Paul Cornell: Would it be tasteless to give a young person Jeff Smith's Bone? And I'd do that if I was being serious too. Or any of the Asterix books.




Heidi McDonald: I'd give the first volume of BONE, or perhaps a Tintin volume.




Christos Gage: Owly. It's perfect for readers of any age, 3 to 93. The term "all-ages comics" is usually a euphemism for something aimed solely at small children, but Andy Runton' delightful books are truly something anyone can enjoy -- and should!




Jason Aaron: Well, I actually just gave my young niece the first volumes of BONE and OWLY, and those seem to have worked like a charm.



Nicola Scott: I am giving my god-son (who's five) some Batman Strikes

No comments: