Wednesday, December 16, 2009

#6 of the 00s - Bat For Lashes

Bat For Lashes is the stage name of Natasha Khan, the young quirky and insanely talented girl I was so lucky to see in the first gig of her first ever solo tour, last year, where she rocked the house, despite (or in part thanks to) her nervousness and all the equipment malfunctions.
She writes songs about stories, fairy tales and dramatic personae, but they all hide a personal truth within, behind the lonely chanting of the princess atop the ivory tower.

6. Bat For Lashes - Fur and Gold / Two Suns


The trophy that I made for us
In fur and gold
Got into the wrong pair of hands
And truth was sold

They bought it for, oh, so much less
Then it was worth
And every man that touched it
Found a heaven on earth

The queens and the court jesters
Clapped, adored
Their hearts swelled to
Overdrive a mercy sword

Mercy this and mercy that
Let justice prevail
But I just want my trophy back
It's not for sale

Creatures of love feed
Shoot shoot
Shoot them down
And set me free

When I got my trophy back
It took some time
To polish it, to go from black
And shoot the line

When I put it back inside
And locked the door
A trophy of mercy
Is a trophy no more

(Heaven is a feeling I get in your arms)

-

Adopting Sarah's heart
(Was never gonna be easy)
Changing from black to blonde
To black to blonde

Sarah, I want to be like you
You know sometimes I want to live like you
So I know how it feels not to feel

-

They sang to me, this is yours to wear
You're the chosen one, there's no turning back now

-

And when you smile those sad eyes
Look sadder and sadder still

No comments: