Tuesday, December 15, 2009

#7 of the 00s - Alanis Morissette

It should be a bit shocking for people who know me that Alanis only made it to #7 of my list. She's still my absolute uncontested favourite artist, the one I'll always travel long distances to see in concert, and the one whose songs will always provide the soundtrack of my life. There is no emotional state I've been in that Alanis hasn't shared and written a song perfectly encapsulating it.

... and if I could in good conscience consider the new recording of "Jagged Little Pill" for the vote, she'd be #1, but from her 00s original albums there wasn't one I'd comfortably pick out and place higher than the six top ones in my list. Alanis rocked the music scene with her original singer/songwriter style in the 90s, but since then she's focused on her lyrics-writing and being 24/7 awesome and current, and not done something as ground-breaking with her sound. That's ok though, I wouldn't change a thing about her. So, #7, the third personal album from my #1 diva, Alanis.

7. Alanis Morissette - Feast On Scraps



You can ask for space for yourself and only yourself and I'll grant it
You can ask for freedom as well or time to travel and you'll have it
You can ask to live by yourself or love someone else and I'll support it
You can ask for anything you want anything at all and I'll understand it
(and there are no strings attached to it)

You owe me nothing for giving the love that I give
You owe me nothing for caring the way that I have
I give you thanks for receiving it's my privilege
And you owe me nothing in return

-

Oh these little rejections how they add up quickly
One small sideways look and I feel so ungood
Somewhere along the way I think I gave you the power to make
Me feel the way I thought only my father could

I can feel so unsexy for someone so beautiful
So unloved for someone so fine
I can feel so boring for someone so interesting
So ignorant for someone of sound mind

-

Dear momma's boy,
I know you've had your butt licked by your mother

I know you've enjoyed all that attention from her
And every woman graced with your presence after
Dear narcissus boy
I know you've never really apologized for anything
I know you've never really taken responsibility
I know you've never really listened to a woman

why why do I try to love you
Try to love you when you really
don't want me to

-

What's it been over a decade?
It still smarts like it was four minutes ago
We only influenced each other totally
We only bruised each other even more so

What are you my blood? You touch me like you are my blood
What are you my dad? You affect me like you are my dad

How long can a girl be shackled to you
How long before my dignity is reclaimed
How long can a girl stay haunted by you
Soon I'll grow up and I won't even flinch at your name

No comments: